Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Freak of Nature

You know how I said last week that I managed to get one productive thing done while on vacation? I went to the eye doctor for my yearly exam and to get a prescription for contacts.

I've done this very same thing the last 4 times I've gone to the doctor. I always think I can get past the extreme discomfort of being a contact wearer with dry eyes. Doctor said he thinks I may sleep with my eyes open. I thought that sounded weird but he said it's pretty common and it's hereditary. My Dad and Brother also have really red eyes (so Dad and Bub, if you're reading this, pay attention).

I mentioned this to my Mom and she said I always slept with my eyes open a little when I was young. So there you go. I'm a freak of nature.

Doctor suggested I try wearing a sleep mask that forces my eyes to stay shut so I went to RiteAid and bought the cheapest one they had. It looks like this.

It does help... when I can keep it on. I'm not sure exactly what keeps happening, I just know I put it on when I go to sleep and when I wake up it's on my nightstand. Every morning.

Sometimes it shifts and becomes uncomfortable. If I did manage to keep it on all night, I think I would wake up to find it on my ear, around my throat, or some other bizarre placement.

Maybe if I had a nicer one....

This one is kind of funny.

Are you kidding me with this one?

This just looks like a bra.

Here we go. This one looks like it would stay put.



Dad and Freda said...

I haven't noticed your Dad sleeping with his eyes open. If I do maybe I can train Cookie to sleep on his face like the puppy mask. LOL
We really enjoy reading your blog. You always make us laugh.

Bryan and Samantha said...

There is one that goes around each ear. Have you tried one of those?
Bryan has one of those "sexy" mask things that he has to use because he snores. He often wakes to find it thrown off in the floor. I think we must all do freaky things in the night.

Angie said...

I'm only a few days into using the cheap one. I was able to keep it on until about 6am before I (consciously this time) took it off. My eyelashes were crazy messed up, like bedhead only with my eyelashes.